Wordds organizes articles by reading time for mobile devices

WorddsWordds is a web service that solves a problem that I'm not really sure that I had. The idea is certainly clever: Wordds is a service that organizes full-length articles from a number of publications based on the number of words in the article. It then presents them to the reader grouped by estimated reading time in ascending order. There is a regular browser interface, and Wordds also provides a mobile interface for most handheld devices.

The list of publications Wordds uses as sources is fairly lengthy. Currently it consists of BusinessWeek, Foreign Affairs, New York Magazine, New York Times Magazine, Newsweek, Portfolio, Rolling Stone, Salon, Smithsonian, Sports Illustrated, The Advocate, The Atlantic, The Economist, The Nation, The New Republic, The New Yorker, Time, and Wired. Unfortunately, there is no indication of just what the selection criteria is for articles that make it onto Wordds. If random selections from these publications do not suit your tastes, you may not find Wordds to be of much value.

Personally, I like the innovation of organizing content by reading time, especially for mobile devices. I could see this being of use in an RSS reader, or in an article clipping application like Instapaper. But when I have little to no control over the articles that Wordds presents to me, I can't honestly see myself using it terribly often.

[via jkOnTheRun]

No comments:

Recent Posts